Monday, February 1, 2010

Training for Big Sur Has Officially Begun


As I've said here before, sometimes it works better for me to walk up to something backwards rather than facing it straight on. That's what I'm telling myself I've been doing the last month or two for the Big Sur Marathon, which I'm running on April 25. You see, if I don't convince myself that my weekly hill workouts and long runs for my recent half marathon can also count toward Big Sur training, then I'm already behind the 8-ball!

I have good friends training for Boston (a mere 6 days before my marathon) and they ran 21 miles over the weekend. I ran 12, paltry in comparison. As a mom, I know I'm not supposed to compare myself to others--at least that's what I tell my kids--but it's tough not to check out other runners' plans and mileage totals.

For now I'm sticking to my plan, telling myself I'll just get hurt if I try to make a big jump to keep up with my Boston buddies. I just need to remind myself that the end of April is still a long time from now. (Right????)

-SBS

9 comments:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

The plan has to be your own in order for it to work. Push yourself but not too much so you remain injury free.

Your milage was 12... mine was 6 - feel better?

Jill said...

You got lots of time, Chicka!! Was that E.W., perhaps that did the 21-miler? I need to email her to check out her training. I somehow got into the "more is better" for Boston approach and need to back off that, even though I am feeling fine, cuz it's going to haunt me pretty soon. So don't follow suit - just train smart. I say that as I look at the faxed Eugene plan you sent me last summer....
xo

Unknown said...

RIGHT! lol :0)

You just keep doing what you are doing and not anymore than you need to. We don't need anymore injuries around here. As someone said above me... "train smart."

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I feel like I am in the same boat...or behind the same 8 ball. I have yet to get in a straight 20 miler. I am doing okay and getting miles in between a.m. and p.m. split runs BUT. Ahhhh! My Trail 50k is March 6th. Starting to get nervous!

drea said...

Remember it is not who can run the most miles, it's who can run 26.2 faster :) If you really feel the need to UP your miles fast, I would recommend keeping a minimal mileage increase but adding in some more serious cross training workouts. This will boost your O2 capacity without risk of injury. As your miles go up, dwindle your XT down. Then kick ass ;)

prashant said...

Push yourself but not too much so you remain injury free.

Work From Home

Mobile Bookmaking said...

For me it works better to do straight. It is something related to perspective. but at the end the result is the same.

Matina said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breathe much better and It feels comfortable