Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Newest Secret Weapons


We all need new tools in our arsenal every so often. Like yesterday I got the twins each a coloring/activity book at the Dollar Tree (or, as the kids call it, "The One-Dollar Store"). When they get loopy, I can distract and entice with the books and some fresh crayons. Or the easy chicken enchiladas recipe my pal Dana sent me.

As for me, I debuted a new pair of speedwork shoes this week--Asics GEL-DS Trainer 15s. They provide the moderate stability I need, but are lighter and faster than my current everyday shoes. I felt like I needed a little get-up-and-go for my first marathon track workout--6 x 800. I was supposed to do them in 3:45, with 1:35 rest in between. I can't run fast and handle too much technology (e.g. pushing buttons several times per lap on my Timex) so instead I recovered with a 200 (half a lap) between each repeat. In the past, my M.O. was to do a full lap (400) after each 800, so I was a bit worried about hitting my target of 3:45.

Silly me: The shoes--plus one other new tool--propelled me to even better times. My times ranged from the overachieving first 800 (3:33) to the slowest (3:43) with most in the 3:39 range. You might say I was a trifle stoked.

And my other secret weapon? I am not going to spill too much, but it is a mouthpiece I'm testing for an article in Runner's World. I was skeptical at first, but after going through some moves with a physical therapist from the company that developed it, I'm rapidly becoming a believer.

-SBS

12 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

wow, that mouthpiece is interesting. I can't wait to hear how it works.

Jen said...

You keep me coming back... mouthpiece??? Intriguing.

BTW: Check out my blog for a cool giveaway.

Unknown said...

So is that mouth piece also helpful with breathing? My dentist has been trying to sell me something similar and he told me it would IMPROVE my running times. I just couldn't figure it out, this makes a little more sense. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Aimee said...

Awesome job with your speed workout! I recently got a new pair of trainers that make me feel super fast too! :)

gba_gf said...

OK, everyone here is interested in the mouth piece, but since I'm injured and running super slow these days I wanted to celebrate the greatest parenting tool of ALL TIME... the DOLLAR STORE! Yeah! When my kids have a SUPER day and I need a HUGE reward, we go to the dollar tree where they can buy ONE THING, whatever they want, the sky's the limit... this still works on my 10 year old.

marybob143@aol.com said...

I'm more interested in the shoes!!! Are they light? Are you going to use them only for speedwork, or for short runs as well?

misszippy said...

I am intrigued to hear about the mouthpiece! Glad you training is going well.

prashant said...

I can't wait to hear more about it.

Work From Home

saucony shoes said...

That is a great secret weapon...nice shoes there...now I know your secret in good running...:D

Kristina said...

I just came across your blog and I think it is really great. There isn't enough emphasis out there on how important it is for mothers to do things for themselves. I just took up running in January after having my third child and running has been a lifesaver on so many levels. I've already completed a half marathon, but that Full next June is calling my name! I'll be sure to order your book asap! :) Thanks!

www.journeytothemiddle.blogspot.com

keen shoes said...

wow, that's interesting. thanks for sharing your secret. Your blog really rock! Like it! :)

Matina said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breathe much better and It feels comfortable