Friday, January 1, 2010

A Stronger New Year


Not to get all woo-woo, patchouli-and-chimes on you, but I believe that my iPod sends me a message via the first song it serves up on a run. Sometimes the message is easy to decipher, such as when Lenny Kravitz growls out "Dig In" or Fergie tells me to "Pump It," but it makes me ponder when Elton John croons "Crocodile Rock."

Being New Year's Day, the first song on my first 2010 run held special import. I've had a tough few weeks, work-wise, so I'm especially eager for a new year, a new decade, a new start. Standing at the edge of my driveway, with my finger over the play button, I paused, almost paralyzed with concern about what song would play. My new nano (thanks, in-laws, I love it!) holds 959 songs. Enough to last 2.7 days, according to iTunes. Yet which song would get served up to set the tone for the coming days and months.

I took a deep breath and pressed play. As I dashed down the street, the strains of Britney Spears filled my ears as she sang "Stronger." My former power song. The one that has propelled me up countless hills, urged me through many a track repeat. I couldn't have wished for a more perfect note to start this new adventure on.

-SBS

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm new to reading your blog but I'm so glad you wrote this today because I was thinking just this when I began my run today. My iPod came through with Tom Petty's Climb That Hill and it was a great start to a cold, snowy New Year's Day run.
Happy 2010!

Jill said...

Here's to a "stronger" year for us both! I gave you honorable mention on my last 2009 blog - it's been a pleasure meeting you and I am blessed for your friendship! Happy New Year! (I'll email soon)

Christi said...

A great song to start the new year!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

AWESOME!! Womanizer has been my power song acorss many miles. LOL!! Bring on 2010

Carol ReMarks said...

That is cool. I'm gonna have to try that one! Thanks for sharing.