Thursday, May 21, 2009

Who Cares about Time?


My 25-year high school reunion was last weekend. All spring, I'd been thinking about how perfect the timing of it was--just two weeks after my marathon. Call me shallow, but I was all excited to brag about my sub-4:00 time and flaunt my running-toned legs. Come on, it had been 25 years since we trotted around in kilts and most everyone had had kids, so I was banking on some classmates being out of shape or even downright dumpy.

Denied! All the women who showed were incredibly trim and perky looking. All natural, yet all gorgeous. And we were so excited to see each other that we got caught up in myriad conversations, rarely veering toward running. A few former classmates who are also Facebook friends knew about my marathon. But instead of asking about my finish time, they merely marveled that my knees still allow me to put in any sort of miles.

It got me thinking: Marathon bragging rights don't extend very far. Facebook and this blog, natch, and some running buddies, sure, but otherwise numbers don't mean much to folks. And, since reunion, I've realized I'm okay with that. Dimity, my fellow marathon mom, ribs me about being a braggart, so this admission may come as a surprise to her.

But I've come to realize that my marathon PR is a nugget I hold closer than I expected I would. It's like a gem I keep tucked into that useless, tiny fifth pocket on a pair of jeans. In the last few weeks, I've fished out my 3:52:37 time, polished it a little, and marveled at it, but usually it doesn't make a blip on my radar. Who knows, maybe I need some perspective, but for now I'm not going to force it.
-SBS

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not shallow at all - proud and excited and wanting to share with the 'world'. Just keep in mind what Hans Solo said to Luke Skywalker in the first Star Wars (our generation's first SW) - "Don't get cocky kid!" which I NEVER would think you could...Bask in it when you want, think back on it when you need a lift and reflect on it with your family and friends...It's no going to ever be lost and that's good thing...Keep the nugget polished!

shel said...

yea - running times only matter to other runners. non-runners don't get it at all. i could tell my family that i ran a 2 hour marathon or a 9 hour marathon and either way they'd say "yay - that's great!" they have no clue, and they don't care so much. you did that sub-4 hour for your pleasure, and i think that it's the best reason! no shame in being proud!

marybob143@aol.com said...

YOUR race, Sarah, is such a personal thing; it's no wonder you hold it close! I think only us who have accomplished 26.2 really GET it. For all the work & planning it takes to get there, it reminded me of having a baby!!!! All the nurturing before-hand through workouts & dietary needs & finally, the big day! Those 26.2 miles all at once shape us, I think, a little differently than before we crossed that starting line...